At regional level visits to gardens, both public and private, are arranged for members and guests. Visits to members’ gardens are also arranged. These visits are very popular and help members to gain ideas for their own gardens.
Occasionally, visits to suppliers and nurseries are also arranged. Such visits include stone yards, artefact suppliers and specialist nurseries.
A list of all Japanese gardens open to the public is published in our journal ‘Shakkei’ each year.
We also visit gardens in Japan on exclusive Society-run study tours and occasionally gardens in other European countries.
PHOTO LIBRARY - You can see a library of JGS photographs of gardens throughout Japan at http://www.japanesegardens.piwigo.com
Selected Japanese gardens in the UK and Ireland open to the public
1. Lauriston Castle, Edinburgh
2. St. Mungo Zen Garden, Glasgow
3. Stobo Japanese Water Garden, Peebleshire
4. Athol Palace Hotel, Pitlochry
5. Attadale Gardens, Strathcarron
6. Cowden Castle Garden, Clackmannanshire
21 National Botanical Garden of Wales, Carmarthenshire
Midlands & East Anglia
31. Newstead abbey, Notts.
32. Birmingham Botanical gardens
33. Danescourt Cemetery, Wolverhampton
34. Purelands, Nottinghamshire
35. Momotaro Gardens, Spalding, Lincs.
36. Norwich Cathedral
London and South east
41. Capel Manor Gardens, Essex
42. Fanhams Hall, Hertfordshire
43. Gatton Park, Reigate, Surrey
44. Hammersmith Park, London
45. Kyoto Garden, Holland Park, London
46. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, London
47. Univ. of London School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS) Roof Garden