At regional level visits to gardens, both public and private, are arranged for members and guests. Visits to members’ gardens are also arranged. These visits are very popular and help members to gain ideas for their own gardens.
Occasionally, visits to suppliers and nurseries are also arranged. Such visits include stone yards, artefact suppliers and specialist nurseries.
A list of all Japanese gardens open to the public is published in our journal ‘Shakkei’ each year.
We also visit gardens in Japan on exclusive Society-run study tours and occasionally gardens in other European countries.
PHOTO LIBRARY – You can see a library of JGS photographs of gardens throughout Japan at http://www.japanesegardens.piwigo.com
Selected Japanese gardens in the UK and Ireland open to the public
Republic of Ireland
4. Tully Japanese Garden, Co. Kildare
Midlands & East Anglia
11. Newstead abbey, Notts.
12. Birmingham Botanical gardens
13. Danescourt Cemetery, Wolverhampton
14. Momotaro Gardens, Spalding, Lincs.
15. Norwich Cathedral
16. Warwick University Arts Building courtyard (by appt.)
London and South east
17. Capel Manor Gardens, Essex
18. Fanhams Hall, Hertfordshire
19. Gatton Park, Reigate, Surrey
20. Hammersmith Park, London
21. Kyoto Garden, Holland Park, London
22. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, London
23. Univ. of London School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS) Roof Garden